I think no one will fight me on this: we all want to sleep peacefully and in comfort. And we all want to sleep on a great, natural mattress, not on a stinky, chemical piece of cheap foam.
The good news is that there are plenty of manufacturers these days who incorporate natural components into their mattresses.
Today, we are going to take a look at the top 9 bamboo mattresses and see which one can bring natural freshness into your bedroom and peaceful rest into your sleep regime.
A Quick Preview
Buy On Amazon
● 7.5” therapeutic support base;● 2” ventilated airflow zone;● 3.5” gel memory foam layer;● natural wool lining;● 4-way bamboo stretch knit cover;
● 10” foam support base layer;● 3” gel-infused memory foam layer;● 1” bamboo and charcoal layer;● Tencel blend cover;
● 10” supportive high-density foam base layer;● 2” natural latex foam;● 3” ventilated gel memory foam;● 1” bamboo charcoal memory foam;
● 10” independently encased coil base;● 3” foam pillow top (with a 3-Zone system);● soft and breathable bamboo cover;
● 6” Flex-Flow dual-density base foam layer;● 2” luxury foam layer;● additional side-wedge support system;● 2” bamboo comfort memory foam;● bamboo viscose cover;
● sleep cooler at night;● spinal support and pressure relief;● naturally healthy material;● 10-year limited warranty;
● high resilience, breathability and dehumidification;● perfect balance between firmness and softness;● CertiPUR-US Certified;● 10-year limited warranty;
● breathable;● hypo-allergenic;● antibacterial;● pressure relief;● soft & cozy;
● Naturally breathable;● FREE CLASSIC BED SHEETS with purchase of a Queen Mattress or larger;● CertiPUR-US Certified;● 10-year limited warranty;
“Bamboo is famous for its anti-bacterial, anti-microbial, and anti-fungal characteristics. This puts bamboo mattresses among the cleanest and safest ones.”
Cypress Bamboo Gel Mattress by Brentwood
This bamboo mattress is a definition of high-quality sleep (at least to me). When lying on it, I felt like I was spoiling myself. It is comfortable, pleasantly soft, and supportive.
Here’s what you need to know about this mattress:
- It is medium-firm and provides great pressure relief, slightly contouring the body and supporting it properly.
- I tried out the 13-inch model, which includes the 7.5-inch therapeutic support layer, the 2-inch ventilation foam zone, and the 3.5-inch gel memory foam layer.
- The firmness level of this mattress is suitable for multiple sleeping positions.
- The bamboo cover is soft, pleasant to the touch, and natural. It is breathable and hypoallergenic, which makes this mattress a great option even for people with sensitive noses.
“To make your sleep even better, you can go further than just getting a bamboo infused mattress. There are also bamboo toppers, pillows, blankets, sheets, and many other bamboo products for your bedroom.”
Here are the main pros and cons to consider:
|Medium firm, comfortable for all sleeping positions||Might be too soft for some users, especially for people who prefer sleeping on firm mattresses|
|Breathable and doesn’t sleep hot thanks to the ventilation layer and the natural bamboo cover||Mediocre edge support|
|Offers good support and excellent pressure relief||Slight off-gassing|
|CertiPUR-US certified and not containing any harmful components|
|The cover is removable and lined with natural wool, which contributes to the temperature regulation|
Want to try it out? Click here to order!
14-inch Plush Memory Foam Bamboo Mattress by Lucid
Let me just tell you one thing:
This bamboo mattress can make you sleep like a baby. It is plush and contouring – which is excellent for pressure relief – but firm enough to support your body.
Here are the main features of this mattress:
- Its construction is quite interesting: the 10-inch foam support base layer, the 3-inch gel-infused memory foam layer, the 1-inch bamboo and charcoal layer, and the soft Tencel blend cover.
- The mattress is medium-firm, which is a perfect level for both spinal alignment and pressure relief.
- The dual comfort layer makes this model suitable for multiple sleeping positions.
- It is breathable, gel-infused, and features a bamboo layer, which means you won’t sleep hot on it.
“While regular foam is infused with plastics, bamboo mattresses feature the memory foam infused with natural bamboo fibers.”
Let’s look at the main pros and cons:
|Medium firm, offers great support||Might feel too hard for some users, especially for people who aren’t used to sleeping on firmer mattresses|
|Comfortable for multiple sleeping positions||Mediocre edge support|
|Good motion isolation levels|
|Doesn’t sleep hot|
|Infused with bamboo and charcoal for a fresher feel and ventilation|
|CertiPUR-US certified, doesn’t contain any harmful chemicals|
If you’ve already made up your mind, click here to order!
Lucid 16-inch Bamboo Charcoal Mattress
This bamboo mattress, despite being not 100% bamboo, has the potential to improve your sleep immensely. It is comfortably firm, bouncy, and supportive, which is perfect for a good night’s sleep.
Let’s look at its main characteristics:
- Its construction is quite simple but works really well: the 10-inch high-density foam base layer, the 2-inch pressure relieving natural latex foam, the 3-inch ventilated gel memory foam layer, the 1-inch bamboo memory foam top layer (infused with charcoal), and the quilted bamboo and poly cover.
- The foam is CertiPUR-US certified, which means it is safe and doesn’t contain any harmful components.
- The charcoal in the foam fight the unpleasant odors and contribute to the temperature regulation.
Now, one of the most important parts of this bamboo mattress review, the pros and cons:
|Overall comfort in multiple sleeping positions||Might be too firm for some users|
|Bouncy and supportive||Being a foam mattress, it might make you feel hot during the warm seasons|
|Great pressure relief levels|
|Low motion transfer levels|
|Certified, doesn’t contain harsh chemicals|
Curious to try it out? Click here to order!
“Sleeping on a natural mattress is beneficial not only for your sleep regime but also for your health. When having rest on natural materials, you breathe more, your skin doesn’t get irritated, and you don’t breathe in any chemicals.”
Signature 13-inch Independently-Encased Coil Bamboo Mattress by Signature Sleep
This bamboo mattress combines everything you need for a good night’s sleep: supportive coil, comforting foam, and breathable bamboo.
Here are its main features:
- The construction involves the following layers: the 10-inch independently encased coil base, the 3-inch foam pillow top (with a 3-Zone system), and the bamboo cover.
- It is CertiPUR-US certified and doesn’t contain any harmful materials – i.e. heavy metals or mercury.
- This mattress belongs to the softer group, which makes it comfortable for all sleep positions and especially great for side sleepers.
Let’s see the main pros and cons:
|Soft and comfortable in all sleeping positions||Might be too soft for some users, especially for heavier sleepers|
|Effectively combines coils and foam for proper support and contouring||Slight off-gassing|
|Safe, doesn’t contain harmful components|
|Good pressure relief properties|
“One of the best features of bamboo is its breathability. This means you won’t sleep hot on a bamboo mattress.”
I must admit:
I was expecting less from this mattress, especially given its reasonable price. However, it managed to pleasantly surprise me, and I’m sure it can surprise you as well.
Order now and see for yourself!
Cariloha Luxury Bamboo Mattress
Yes, this bamboo mattress belongs to the more expensive group, but it definitely is worth the money. It is high-quality, safe, comfortable, and can make you feel like a king or a queen.
Here’s what you should know about it:
- It features four construction layers: the Flex-Flow dual-density base foam layer, the luxury foam layer, the additional side-wedge support system, the bamboo comfort memory foam, and the bamboo viscose cover.
- It is medium-firm, not too soft, not too stiff.
- The mattress is CertiPUR-US certified and safe for your health.
- The base layer features the cell-like airflow system for better ventilation.
Let’s consider the main pros and cons:
|Comfortable in all sleeping positions||Might be too firm for some users|
|Great pressure relief||Quite pricey|
|Good edge support|
|Breathable, doesn’t sleep hot|
|Great support levels|
|Doesn’t contain harmful chemicals|
|The top bamboo foam layer is anti-bacterial and odor-reducing|
Read our extensive Cariloha Luxury Resort Bamboo Mattress!
Ready to try it? Click here to order!
BedStory 12-Inch Gel-Bamboo Charcoal Memory Foam Mattress
The Bed Story brand is committed to providing quality products that will help you sleep better at night. With over 35 years of industry sleep expertise, this company takes pride in delivering high-quality products at a reasonable price.
- It has natural anti-allergic and anti-bacterial qualities that make it perfect for people with sensitive skin
- BedStory Gel-Bamboo Charcoal Memory Foam Mattress comes with a full 10 years warranty coverage.
- Its gel particles give a cooling effect and absorb excess temperature to provide you with a night of relaxed and soothing sleep.
- Bamboo charcoal that is infused in this mattress draws heat away from your body and absorbs its excessive amount
- CertiPUR-US certification, which means it does not contain any harmful material like lead, mercury, and other dangerous chemicals.
Pure, non-toxic, and eco-friendly, this mattress combines luxury and eco-consciousness seamlessly.
Let’s see the main pros and cons:
|Good moisture absorption||More expensive than its alternatives|
|Comes with a 10-year warranty||The delivery period is more than 72 hours|
|Temperature control properties|
|CertiPUR US certification|
|Comfortable for all sleeping positions|
I can conclude by saying that this product lives up to all our expectations. It simply delivers a great night’s sleep. Some people might find it pricey, but the quality justifies it.
BedStory 10 Inch Gel-Bamboo Charcoal Memory Foam Twin Mattress
Bedstory Gel bamboo charcoal memory foam mattress is created with the use of high-quality materials. Bamboo charcoal is explicitly added to ensure higher water absorption, moisture-wicking, breathability, anti-mite and anti-bacterial functions. This 10-inch Gel-Bamboo mattress by BedStory provides a comfortable and healthy sleep dynamic.
- BedStory Gel-Bamboo Charcoal Memory Foam Twin Mattress has anti-mite properties
- Gel-memory foam added in this product makes sure that all your sensitive body parts get proper support as you sleep
- It comes with a decade long warranty of 10 years
- The mattress comprises of material anti-bacterial properties
- Bamboo charcoal infusions make sure that the mattress remains fresh and crisp always
|Anti-bacterial||It takes a bit of time to reach its standard size after unpacking|
|Provides pressure relief||Could be a bit firm for some sleepers|
|Safe for people with sensitive skin and allergies|
|Comfortable and breathable|
Thanks to its temperature control qualities, this mat makes sure that you don’t feel too hot or too cold during your sleep
I can say that overall I am satisfied with the quality & features of this mattress. However, it took quite a bit of time too fully unpack the box.
Inofia Bamboo Memory Foam Tri-fold Mattress
Inofia uses memory foam due to which the mattress is delicate and ultra-soft. It’s built with 1.5-inch memory foam over a 4.5-inch supporting foam base. Due to the bottom, the product offers a great night’s sleep experience. This easy-to-store memory foam mattresses is vacuum compressed and rolled upon delivery. The material is long-lasting and comfortable.
- CertiPUR-US Certified, which means its memory foam does not have toxins and chemicals in it.
- It comes with an anti-slip bottom and a removable soft bamboo cover
- It is washable and low maintenance that makes it perfect for dorm spaces
- It is highly portable and gets folded easily, which allows one to fit this product in small spaces.
|10-year warranty||Does not give a luxurious feel|
|100 free night trial||Not the best for people with back issues|
|Easy to wash|
|Portable & Foldable|
|Has anti-slip foundation|
It will be safe to say that this product works for people who frequently host sleepovers or have guests that stay overnight. It is highly portable and low-maintenance. However, despite being very functional, it does not give the luxurious feeling that many people seek in their mattresses. It is more suitable for people who see mattresses as a practical & healthy product rather than a high-quality luxury item.
LUCID 12 Inch Queen Bamboo Hybrid Mattress
One of the tests that we do for mattresses – we cut them open (we test all of them separately), all you’d find is foam, no coils. The bed has a foam boarder around the coils for improved edge support. The mattress consists of two other layers of memory foam: one layer of polyurethane foam and pocketed coils.
- Memory foam is infused with aloe vera and bamboo charcoal that repels all odours
- Dual transition layers fitted inside the mattress make sure that the mattress lays evenly without any dips or raises
- It gives a luxurious feel that includes a perfect combination of softness and firmness
- It comes in a well compressed and portable shape that makes it easier to ship
With the help of individually encased steel coils, this mattress responds to movement and gives a perfect airflow.
|Odour repelling||Higher maintenance required|
|Infused aloe vera and bamboo charcoal give a calming effect||Quite pricey|
|Great pressure levels|
|Provides solid support|
|Doesn’t contain harmful chemicals|
|The top bamboo foam layer is anti-bacterial and odor-reducing|
Personally, I loved sleeping on this mattress. The price is justifiable for the quality it offers. If you are really taking your sleep seriously, then you should definitely invest in this product.
Factors We Look At
Before you make any buying decision, it is important that you know all about bamboo mattress benefits. When it comes to sleep, I get really serious. Call me a bore if you will, but I think that getting a 7-hour sleep (at least) every night is important. That’s why, when trying to find a good bamboo mattress, I pay close attention to the most important factors, such as:
- overall comfort;
- back support;
- pressure relief properties;
- motion transfer;
- materials and safety certifications;
Why Switch To Bamboo Mattresses
The number of people who appreciate the properties of bamboo grows each day. And there are many reasons for that. If you’re wondering what makes bamboo mattresses a better option compared to regular foam or spring ones, take a look at the benefits you can get when picking the bamboo mattress:
- Bamboo is a natural and eco-friendly material. It doesn’t require any chemicals when growing, so you won’t have to worry about pesticides or any other harmful substances. Bamboo grows fast, and its roots don’t get destroyed when the plant is harvested. Therefore, when choosing a mattress with bamboo materials, you help preserve our planer. That feels good, don’t you agree?
- Bamboo is safer for your sleep than any other materials as it is naturally resistant to bacteria, dust, and mold. We all know that a mattress cannot be thoroughly and completely washed, so it gathers all the dust, sweat, and other nasty things over the course of time. With bamboo, however, this process is much, much slower. And you won’t find any dust mites in your mattress, so sleep peacefully and don’t worry!
- Bamboo mattresses are great when it comes to temperature regulation. Bamboo is a breathable material, so sleeping on it will keep you cool, even during the hot season. It also absorbs moisture effectively and helps it evaporate quickly, so you won’t wake up sweaty in the mornings (like it often happens with regular mattresses). Top that off with some high-quality bamboo sheets, and you will forget about your air conditioner.
- Bamboo is hypoallergenic. So, if you are sensitive to smells and fabrics and can have allergic reactions, a bamboo mattress is a perfect option for you.
- Mattresses made from bamboo are an excellent replacement for eco-conscious buyers as bamboo trees grow fast and can be cultivated easily.
The list of bamboo’s properties doesn’t end there, but you get the picture. No wonder people don’t hesitate to switch their old mattresses to the new, healthier and more natural bamboo models.
How To Take Care of Your Bamboo Mattress
Because bamboo mattresses aren’t the most popular option among other models (yet), some people don’t really know how to deal with this material and how to care for such a mattress. Here are the most important points you need to familiarize yourself with:
- The majority of mattresses are delivered compressed and vacuum-sealed in the box. When your mattress arrives, take it out of the packaging, but be very careful as the plastic is usually wrapped very tightly around the mattress. Make certain you don’t damage it with the scissors when opening. To be on the safe side, try to avoid very sharp tools.
- The next step is unrolling the mattress and allowing it to decompress. I know, you can’t wait to try it out and maybe even jump on it like they do in the movies (please don’t do that). However, your new mattress needs time to inflate properly. Only then, it will be able to provide you with the comfort you need. Some mattresses might take even a couple of days to decompress completely, so be patient.
- It is always a good idea to air the mattress out for a couple of hours. Simply take the sheets off and open the windows widely. Do that twice a year, and your bamboo mattress will stay fresh and clean longer.
- If you feel like your mattress is not perfectly comfortable, a good bamboo mattress topper can save the day. It can add more softness and provide you with an extra comfort layer. And you won’t have to spend a ton of money and invest in a new mattress.
- Buy a waterproof mattress protector, especially if you enjoy drinking tea in bed. While it might relax you, it might also stain your mattress, so a waterproof protector will preserve your mattress from unnecessary moisture and dirt.
- Vacuuming your mattress once a month will keep it cleaner and fresher. Because let’s face it, no matter how good the material is, it will still gather your hair and dead skin cells. Vacuuming will help you get rid of those.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Bamboo Mattress
Before rushing into things and buying the bamboo mattress based on its popularity or price, it’s better to do your own research first. There are many factors that can drastically influence your sleeping experience on the mattress. So, here are the things you should consider before making your final choice:
- Firmness and support. When buying a mattress, don’t settle for a low firmness level. Instead, go for a medium-firm or a firm mattress, as it will be able to support your body and spine properly.
- Layers. Let’s face it: one or two layers can’t provide you with both proper support and pressure relief. Look for a mattress with at least three layers, because all of them have their own properties, whether it’s support, pressure relief, or, let’s say, heat reduction.
- Certifications. They prove that the mattress doesn’t contain any harmful materials or harsh chemicals. That’s why when considering a mattress, check if it’s CertiPUR-US or Oeko-Tex certified.
- Warranty. It can give you a hint concerning the quality of a mattress. The long warranty period means that the manufacturer trusts the product and believes in its durability.
- Size. This one is obvious, but many people still manage to forget about this important criterion. Your mattress should fit your height, weight, and the number of people that are going to sleep on it. For instance, if you sleep solo, a Twin or a Twin XL will probably be enough, but if you sleep with your significant other, consider investing in a Queen or a King.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What is Bamboo Mattress?
A bamboo mattress is like any other mattress but made with a combination of bamboo fabric,bamboo charcoal & bamboo memory foam. This is a rather new type of mattress that is hypoallergenic, both soft but feels firm which will ensure your night’s great sleep.
What are the types of Bamboo Mattresses?
As you might have guessed bamboo mattresses are not made 100% from bamboo. There are different types of bamboo mattresses you could find in stores and online. The most popular ones are: Bamboo Covers, Memory Foam Infused with Bamboo Fibers & Memory Foam infused with Bamboo Charcoal.
How long does a bamboo mattress last?
Bamboo mattresses are really durable. We won’t say that they will outperform any other matters simply because we’ve been testing them for a couple of years. Most mattresses will last for at least 10 years which is pretty good for any consumer.
Do you need a bamboo mattress protector?
Well, having a mattress protector is a great way to ensure your mattress will last longer and you can protect it from the occasional coffee spills or any other unfortunate events that might occur. Moreover, bamboo mattress protectors will help keep any allergens aways and will provide even better breathability.
What’s the warranty policy for the bamboo mattress?
Let’s clear something up bamboo mattress warranty is not the same as a 100 days trial period. Most respected mattress companies will offer you a 100 nights sleep FREE trial -meaning you can return it back with no questions asked, but will also offer you a warranty for 10 years in most cases. We recommend reading the warranty policies of the company you’re purchasing your bamboo mattress but in most cases, you will be covered if something is broken or torn apart. Things that might be covered under a mattress warranty: split seams, damaged coils, unsmooth surface, broken handles, broken box spring, substantial gaggling.
I must admit I didn’t believe all the hype around bamboo mattresses. However, I am now officially a fan of these incredibly fresh and natural mattresses. And the best one, in my opinion, is the Cariloha Luxury Bamboo Mattress. It is a more expensive option, but I felt the most comfortable when sleeping on it. It is supportive, moderately contouring, and doesn’t sleep hot.
If you’re not ready to invest in a more luxurious mattress, another great option (which is also cheaper!) is the 14-inch Plush Memory Foam Mattress by Lucid. It’s more affordable but no less comfortable. This model offers great support and a pleasant plush feel.
No matter which one you choose, I’m sure you will sleep peacefully every night.