Skateboarding is a unique sport that, when done regularly, helps keep you fit and healthy. It involves crazy tricks on the streets, while traveling distances, or in a skate park. Unfortunately, these boards are often made of wood that could raise an environmental concern.
In recent years, taking care of the environment has been at the forefront of individuals and companies that use wood from trees to manufacture products. For example, skateboards in the past were being made from maple, which was strong and durable. However, with the rise in maple deforestation, there is a need to seek alternatives that are safer for the environment.
Bamboo skateboards offer a timely environmental solution since they are made from sustainable and well-managed bamboo forests. If you are a skateboarding enthusiast and also care about the environmental impact, switching to the best bamboo skateboards is the first actionable step in doing better for the environment.
However, as the demand for bamboo, especially in skateboard manufacturing, is increasing, many companies are promising to use sustainable bamboo to create sturdy and efficient boards. For this reason, finding the best bamboo skateboard manufacturer can be difficult. Below, we have listed the best bamboo skateboards on the market and why you should consider switching from maple to bamboo.
What Is A Bamboo Skateboard?
That of a surfboard influences the build and function of a skateboard. A bamboo skateboard is made of anywhere between six and nine different layers of bamboo. The bamboo ply is pressed together to form the bamboo decks, which take up the shape of the skateboard.
Using sustainable bamboo to make skateboards is eco-friendly and helps in reducing maple deforestation. The best bamboo skateboards are lighter and stronger while also being durable. In addition, they offer a means for manufacturers to look for other eco-friendly resources to use in construction apart from the traditional maple wood.
We are familiar with what a bamboo skateboard is, so let us look at the best skateboards in this category.
Are Bamboo Skateboards Strong?
Buy On Amazon
1. Magneto Mini Cruiser Skateboard
- MADE BY SKATERS All of our boards are designed by skaters and inspired by our location in Southern...
- SUPER PORTABLE Designed to be fun to ride and easy to carry around, this is our go-to board for...
- DOUBLE KICKTAILS Double kick tails add fun and versatility to the mini cruiser skateboard. Mannies,...
- HIGH QUALITY DECK Manufactured from 6 full plies of Canadian Maple, the deck is very strong and...
- STURDY TRUCKS The trucks are made from quality gravity cast aluminum making them super reliable and...
The Magneto Mini Cruiser skateboard is designed by skaters who use their experience to create the best longboards. It is made of bamboo and maple, making it super light to skate on. In addition, since it is a mini-cruiser, its small size enhances portability.
This Magneto bamboo supports performing tricks, such as ollies and mannies, since it has double kick tails. In addition, the asymmetrical tails on the front and the back of the skateboard adds a directional surf-style design. These tails are also responsible for maintaining the board's performance.
The trucks of Magneto mini cruisers are sturdy thanks to the quality gravity aluminum. This makes the trucks not only reliable but also sturdy. In addition, this complete skateboard has a sand finish and unique graphics to add to its style.
2. Bamboo Skateboards Blank Skateboard Deck
- POP: Skaters are always asking how to get more POP and we are here to tell you that the answer is...
- LONG LASTING: These professional boards are made with bamboo which makes them lighter and stronger....
- STRONG: These boards have been tested for strength. We have even driven over our skateboards with a...
- ECO FRIENDLY: Bamboo Skateboards are made out of the highest quality bamboo which is an eco-friendly...
- AVAILABLE IN MULTIPLE SIZES: These deep concave blank decks are perfect for all levels from beginner...
If you are looking for skate bamboo, whether for a beginner or a pro, this blank skateboard deck from Bamboo Skateboards will work perfectly for you. It is super light and easy to carry around. In addition, this skateboard deck is strong to allow you to learn new tricks without worrying about breakage.
The Bamboo Skateboards blank deck is made of high-quality bamboo hence eco-friendly. It consists of 6 ply bamboo and maple hybrid to give it more strength while improving sustainability. In addition, this hybrid skateboard deck will provide you better performance than the conventional maple deck.
Longevity is important to any board since you don't want to be buying a new one weeks after you got your last board. The Blank skateboard deck is long-lasting and absorbs shock to prevent it from breaking. So, whether you are jumping down a stair set, flying around on a halfpipe, or hitting a rail, you can be confident that this bamboo deck will not let you down.
3. Bamboo Skateboards Graphic Skateboard Deck
- MORE POP: Skaters are always asking how to get more POP and we are here to tell you that the answer...
- LAST LONGER THAN MAPLE: These professional boards are made with bamboo, which makes them lighter and...
- STRONGER AND MORE FLEXIBLE THAN MAPLE: These pro boards have been tested for strength and are the...
- ECOFRIENDLY: Bamboo Skateboard are made out of the highest quality bamboo which is an eco friendly...
- AVAILABLE IN MULTIPLE SIZES: This medium concave Graphic deck is perfect for all levels from pro to...
When choosing a bamboo skateboard deck, you shouldn't go overboard. The graphic skateboard deck from Bamboo Skateboards is made of high-quality bamboo and maple hybrid. In addition, it only has 6 plies to ensure that it remains as light as possible.
This eco-friendly deck in the color Nebula has a great design and is part of the Bamboo Skateboards' Earth series. It is designed to give you all the pop you need when performing tricks. Additionally, this medium concave graphic deck is available in different sizes to match your skating needs.
The Nebula graphic is light and strong to offer you the push to learn new tricks confidently. The bamboo absorbs shock better to ensure that your deck does not break. In addition, this skate bamboo is more flexible than maple to help you land the craziest jumps and tricks without breaking your precious board.
4. Retrospec Zed Bamboo Skateboard
- ZED LONGBOARD: Our freshest longboard nods to the 1950’s makeshift backyard longboards with its...
- ANTI-BITE TECHNOLOGY: Avoid wheel bite at all costs. In fact, put it in the back of your mind. We...
- HIGH-SPEED & ACCURATE: Precision ball bearings in the ABEC-7 tolerance grade is ideal for high speed...
- SLICK & GRIP: Enhance your ride with smooth and shock absorbent 70 mm Polyurethane wheels, plus a...
- STABLE BUILD: 44” x 9.5” artisan longboard made from 8-ply Canadian maple and sustainably...
The Retrospec Zed Longboard is designed to have the feel and shape of a surfboard. It is constructed from 8-ply Canadian maple and sustainably sourced bamboo. This hybrid combination forms a strong bamboo skateboard that will last you years.
The Zed bamboo longboard utilizes an anti-bite technology to prevent wheel bite. In turn, this makes riding on your board easy by using wheel wells with rock finish to eliminate grab. In addition, the polyurethane wheels are shock absorbent to make the skating experience smooth.
The Retrospec Zed bamboo hybrid is strong enough to withstand pressure from different tricks as a bamboo skateboard. Moreover, it is equipped with ABEC-7 tolerance grade precision ball bearings to support high speed and running accuracy. In addition, this is a complete skateboard that comes fully assembled.
5. Bamboo Skateboards Graphc Decks
- Bamboo skateboard decks are made from the highest quality bamboo resulting in longer lasting...
- Built with 6 ply bamboo and maple wood which improves the board sustainability to become an ideal...
- Affordable pro skateboard deck with a unique geometricity design and heavy duty build so riders can...
- Deep concave deck for premium control while riding, doing tricks, and taking hard turns that most...
- Comes in multiple sizes for all levels 7.75" x 31.5", 8" x 31.75", and 8.25" x 32"
Graphc Decks by Bamboo Skateboards are eco-friendly and made of 6plybamboo and maple wood. This type of construction helps to increase the deck's performance and long-lasting durability. In addition, carrying this deck is as easy as putting it in your bag or carrying it in your hands because of its lightweight.
In addition to being light, this Graphc deck is strong and sturdy. This is mainly because of its hybrid construction with flexible bamboo grass and hardwood maple. The bamboo absorbs impact, ensuring that your board does not break regardless of the intensity of your tricks.
This deck utilizes reverse psychology design and a heavy-duty build To offer the most pop while skating. It has a deep concave shape that gives full control when doing tricks involving hard turns. In addition, this bamboo board comes in three sizes to suit your preferences, whether you are a beginner or a pro.
Why Should You Get the Best Bamboo Skateboards?
Many times, you will prefer to have your skateboard with you at all times so that you can use it on your way to the park, grocery store, or simply running errands. For this reason, a lightweight skateboard is convenient and will not tire or weigh you down.
Bamboo is known for its lightweight properties. This feature is no exception in a bamboo skateboard, making it super lightweight without compromising its other capabilities.
Saving the environment is very important, especially now that the effects of global warming are becoming severe worldwide. For example, bamboo skateboard decks are more eco-friendly than maple boards. Bamboo takes up to 5 years to attain maturity, while a maple tree takes anywhere between thirty-five to fifty years. In addition, every time you cut it, bamboo grows even much stronger while maple trees die when harvested.
Caring for bamboo skateboards is easier than maple boards. To avoid spending so much time that you would have used to enjoy your board, it is better to get one made of bamboo so that you can skate more and care less.
Bamboo as a material is highly durable and can withstand almost any kind of pressure applied to it. When used in skateboards, bamboo decks absorb impact better and give that POP that skaters love. In addition, bamboo resists cracking, ensuring that you get top performance from your board and for a longer time.
Comparison Between Bamboo and Maple Skateboards
Maple wood comes from a hardwood tree, meaning that it is tougher, heavier and sturdier. As a result, skateboards made from maple wood are very strong and more suitable for downhill riding. In addition, the style and shape of the maple decks will determine how much speed you can go on.
Since they are made from hardwood, maple decks are very long-lasting, impacting your skateboard's longevity. In addition, due to its strength, a maple board is more convenient for doing slides because it won't rattle or vibrate. The hardness and strength also allow you to skate naturally without turning or sliding involuntarily.
Skateboards made of maple wood consist of 5-10ply. Since maple wood is naturally heavy, the skateboard becomes extremely heavier than one made from bamboo. For this reason, it becomes inconvenient to have your board with you whenever you want.
Contrary to what some people may think, bamboo is actually a type of grass and not wood. It is very light hence making your bamboo boards lightweight and easy to have with you at all times. However, don't think that this feature makes it less capable of producing higher performance.
Since bamboo is grass, it provides a lot of flex, which helps absorb impact better than maple decks. The grass flex is also more adaptable in low or high mountainous terrains and allows you to lean into a corner. In addition, if you are looking to cruise more when skating, a bamboo board will be more efficient.
Increasing the speed of a skateboard is easier with a bamboo one since it is light. It is also better for making turns. However, for high-speed boarding, a maple board is more recommended. This is because, since it is heavy, it will not wobble at high speed.
Maple wood skateboards are more expensive and range from 60-70 bucks or higher when it comes to the price. In addition, this price varies depending on the brand that you choose. On the other hand, bamboo skateboards are affordable, costing almost half the price of maple ones. So, apart from lasting more than maple wood boards, you will be contributing to the environment at no extra costs by opting for bamboo boards.
How Can You Maintain Your Bamboo Skateboards Better?
Although bamboo skateboards are durable, the level of maintenance you accord to them will enhance their longevity. Below are a few maintenance tips to increase durability.
- Always store your bamboo skateboard in a clean and dry area. The natural properties of bamboo hold best when it is dry. Storing it in a wet or moist area causes it to splinter and even form mold. In addition, the metallic parts will begin to rust and ultimately, you will need to purchase a new board.
- Don't go skating in the rain. While skating in the rain seems fun, bamboo is sensitive to water. Rain could also cause the deep concave blank decks to separate and wear out in the water. In addition, rusting is also bound to happen due to the metal parts in the skateboard construction. If you are accidentally caught in the rain, wipe down the bamboo board and leave it to air dry.
- Cleaning and replacing the different parts frequently will help maintain your bamboo deck as new. For example, bearings can clog up due to dust accumulation, while bearings wear out thanks to friction. To ensure that you get top performance from your board, frequent cleaning and replacement of worn-out parts will keep it as functional as it was when new.
Frequently Asked Questions on Bamboo Skateboards
1. Are bamboo skateboards good?
Bamboo boards are a great alternative for maple boards since they offer better quality performance while being long-lasting. They are also affordable and contribute to reducing maple deforestation. In addition, these boards are lighter and stronger to help you learn new tricks fast.
2. Are bamboo skateboards lighter?
Yes. Bamboo is naturally light; therefore, skateboards made of bamboo are lighter than maple alternatives. You can carry your bamboo skateboard in a bag or by hand.